Nobody likes the feeling of dehydration; it saps your energy and leaves you feeling overwhelmed. Dehydration can be a side effect of vaping if you don’t take sensible precautions, but there are ways to avoid it. That said, vaping has many incredible benefits—such as being easy to use, offering more health benefits than smoking, and providing greater affordability. Vaping CBD, or using disposable CBD vape pens is also an excellent option for boosting your health.
Therefore, don’t let minor dehydration halt your vaping journey. In this article, we will discuss why vaping may create dehydration and how to prevent it:
Can Vaping Cause Dehydration?
Yes, vaping can cause dehydration. However, that shouldn’t be a shock because e-liquid isn’t water. Instead, manufacturers make e-liquids with VG (vegetable glycerine) and PG (propylene glycol).
These are often the cause of your dehydration issues because they’re humectants, which could leave you with a dry mouth and mild dehydration.
The Dangers of Vaping Dehydration?
You might think dry mouth—which is relatively common—isn’t a major health issue. And, of course, it isn’t in the grand scheme. Still, that doesn’t mean you should completely ignore it. It can lead to negative side effects, including dizziness and headaches.
What Are The Symptoms of Vaping Dehydration?
Vaping dehydration manifests in numerous ways. Although the symptoms may seem harmless, there are various ways vaping dehydration can affect you, such as:
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth and throat
- Dry eyes
- Dark-colored urine
- Decreases urine volume
- Urine with a heavy yellow color.
Although these symptoms can indicate other health issues, there’s a good chance they’re signs of dehydration if you’ve been vaping heavily. Contact a GP if these symptoms continue for a long period.
How To Prevent Vape Dehydration
Fortunately, vaping dehydration is simple to fix once you know it’s an issue. Here are some ways you can prevent vape dehydration:
1. Drink Tonnes of Water
Although you think it’s common sense, drinking tons of water is the best way to stop vape dehydration. You should drink around 6-8 glasses of water daily. If you feel slightly thirsty, you should consider drinking water. Check the color of your urine. If it’s yellow, you’re not drinking enough fluids; if it’s clear, you’re fully hydrated and you should prevent vape dehydration.
2. Monitor Your Caffeine Intake
Many people enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning to give them an energy kick. However, did you know that caffeine can dehydrate you? That’s right. It’s not ideal if you’re vaping. Wherever you drink lots of coffee during the day, you should ensure you drink lots of water. Similarly, drink lots of water if you’re drinking alcohol.
3. Avoid Vaping If You’re Sick
If you’re feeling ill, vaping might sound like an attractive proposition—especially if you’ve caught a common cold. However, you should avoid vaping if you feel any sickness because this can severely dehydrate you. Still, if you feel like you can’t stop vaping when you’re ill, drink lots of water between vaping sessions.
4. Eat More Fruit
Fruit is superb for staying hydrated. Some fruits contain more water than others, such as watermelon and strawberries. Both of these have around 92% water. In addition, peaches and grapefruits contain 96% water, whereas iceberg lettuce contains 95%. Although eating fruit won’t prevent dehydration, it can ease it.
5. Take Your Time
It’s tempting to vape quickly, especially if you’re enjoying it. With that said, take your time between vaping sessions. Gauge the side effects and adjust accordingly. In most cases, you can avoid bad side effects—such as dehydration—by taking your time with your vape pens.
Is Dehydration The Only Downside of Vaping?
Although vaping is healthier than smoking, it’s not always entirely healthy. It can cause more health issues than mere dehydration. Here are some of the other side effects:
- Coughing: If you’re new to vaping or switching from smoking, it’s not uncommon to feel an increase in coughing. However, your cough should subside within a few weeks/months once your lungs become used to vaping. Consult your doctor for advice if the cough continues long-term.
- Shortness of breath: It’s not uncommon to feel shortness of breath when you’re vaping. Again, this should go away once you become used to vaping.
- Headaches: Some people begin to feel headaches once they start vaping. These should also subside once you become used to vaping.
- Addiction: Although you’re not smoking nicotine or cannabis, vaping nicotine and vaping CBD can still become addictive when you vape regularly.
- Throat and mouth irritation: You may experience throat and mouth irritation when you start vaping because you’re not used to the heat. These side effects should go away within weeks. Cut down on your vaping frequency or change the e-liquid if the irritation continues.
The vaping phenomenon is still new. Therefore, there’s little research on the long-term effects. Once scientists have more research on the long-term effects, we’ll be the first to let you know.
When Should You Avoid Vaping?
If you vape during specific activities, there’s a high chance you’ll experience vaping dehydration. Here are some activities to avoid if you’re vaping:
- Strenuous activities: You should avoid vaping during strenuous activities, such as working out in the gym or manual labor.
- If you’re suffering from diarrhea: If you’ve eaten something dodgy or suffer from IBS, you may want to avoid vaping. Diarrhea almost always leaves you dehydrated, and vaping could make it worse.
- If you’re taking specific medications: If you take medications that can cause diarrhea, you should avoid vaping.
- During hot weather: It’s not the best idea to use vape pens during hot weather. If you do, drink lots of fluid and don’t spend too much time in the sun.
We established that vaping may cause mild dehydration in this article. That said, it’s entirely preventable by taking your time, drinking lots of water, eating fruit, and limiting your caffeine intake. Although vaping dehydration won’t cause any serious side effects, it can be irritating.
If you follow the tips in this article, you can avoid becoming dehydrated and enjoy the ultimate experience with your vape pens.