- The 510 thread is a standard size and threading used for vape pen batteries and cartridges.
- The 510 thread was first developed by the Chinese e-cigarette manufacturer Joyetech in the early 2010s.
- The 510 thread quickly became the industry standard for vape pen batteries and cartridges due to its universal compatibility.
- Today, the 510 thread is used by numerous vaping brands and is a popular choice for its convenience and versatility.
Vaping products have become enormously popular in the United States. Although flower still commands the most significant market share—vaping is rapidly catching up. One of the main reasons why cannabis vapes have become immensely popular is convenience. A portable cannabis vape is discrete and creates less odor, making it ideal for people who want to vape cannabis anywhere.
The most popular cannabis vapes are 510 vape carts. In this article, we’ll look at the history of the 510 thread vape battery and 510 vape carts, to determine why they’re so popular:
The Various Types of Portable Vaporizers
There are various portable vapes on the market; each one has different advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Wax Pens: Wax pens—often called dab pens—are popular portable vaporizers for cannabis users. Although they’re the least convenient of all the options, they allow users to enjoy a more comprehensive range of cannabis concentrates. You’ll need to place a dab into the pen’s heating chamber to use a wax pen. That’s where it will vaporize in the same fashion as a conventional dab rig. Operating a wax pen can be tricky, but the results are fantastic.
- Disposable Cartridge: Another popular option for cannabis users is disposable cartridges. Typically, disposable cartridges come with three main parts: the tank, the mouthpiece, and the heating element. Similarly to disposable vape pens, these cartridges come with preloaded cannabis extract. Customers, however, will need to purchase their own batteries.
- Disposable Vape Pen: A disposable vape pen is the ultimate all-in-one device for cannabis smokers. Typically, disposable cartridges come with four main parts: the battery, the tank, the mouthpiece, and the heating element. Unlike cartridge-based systems, these parts are not interchangeable. And, when you run out of extracts, you simply discard the cartridge and buy a new one. It’s not possible to refill the cartridge.
What Are Carts?
When the cannabis industry uses the term carts, they refer to a disposable cartridge filled with cannabis extract. Dispensaries typically offer various disposable carts with multiple extracts. You may see carts advertised as wax carts, but most cannabis carts contain thin solvent-based cannabis extracts, such as THC oil extracted using alcohol or distillate instead of solid wax concentrates.
Nevertheless, producers often make disposable vape cartridges out of various materials. Most of the materials are plastic and metal. Due to health and safety concerns surrounding heavy metal leaching, many producers have switched to ceramic hardware for better safety. In addition, carts with ceramic heating can handle more potent extracts than metal.
What Is a 510 Thread Cartridge?
Most disposable cartridges on the market today are 510 vape carts. The 510 thread refers to the cartridge’s battery connection; 510 is simply a measurement.
A tremendous benefit of the 510 thread cartridge is that it’ll connect into any 510 thread battery—irrespective of the brand. Therefore, this enables consumers to experiment with different cartridge brands without buying additional batteries.
The Advantages of 510 Vape Carts
- Lightweight and Portable: One of the main advantages of using 510 vape carts is their lightweight and portable nature. You can take them anywhere with you.
- Discreet: Due to the discrete nature of 510 vape carts, you can use them anywhere without attracting attention.
- Dose Management: Are you worried about vaping too much? You shouldn’t. When you use 510 vape carts, you can enjoy superb dose management due to the timeout programmed into their inhalation cycle.
- Cross-Device Compatibility: 510 vape carts have excellent cross-compatibility for added convenience.
- Styles: You can purchase 510 Vape Carts in various shapes and styles. As a result, you can truly tailor it to your taste.
The Various Styles of 510 Batteries
There are many 510 style batteries on the market for 510 vape carts. Here are some of the most common batteries today:
- The Classic Vape Pen: The pen vape is the most traditional type of potential battery. You can fit it into a pocket or bag because of its slim profile. Some pen vapes include a button draw system, but others only need to be inhaled to begin the heating element.
- E-pipe: The E-pipe is a battery made to look like a hand pipe. Similar to the pen vape, you can find e-pipes with and without buttons.
- Keychain: If you’re looking for a discreet, low-profile vaping session, keychain 510 threaded batteries are an excellent idea. These batteries resemble a simple key fob, and you can place them on a keyring for simple access.
- Box Mod: Another battery option is the box mod. They’re chunkier than other battery options, but allow more freedom to customize the vape hardware.
Related Article: Why is My 510 Thread Battery Not Working, and How Do I Fix It?
Who Created The 510 Cartridge?
The 510 cartridges, like most portable vape technology, started in the electronic e-cigarette industry. Joyetech first began the term to describe the eGo-T e-cig battery back in the late 2000s. At that time, the vape industry was in its infancy.
Today, 510 thread batteries are standard for cannabis and nicotine vaping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Vaping Safe?
Although vaping is less harmful than smoking nicotine, it’s still not entirely safe. A study from 2016 found that harmful vaping emissions—including irritants and carcinogens—were much lower than conventional cigarettes. However, there are still dangers from vaping—such as chemical exposure, addiction, and coughing.
Are All 510 Thread Batteries The Same?
Most 510 thread batteries and 510 vape carts are interchangeable and compatible. There are various types of 510 thread vape batteries, with many options varying in quality and functionality.
Why Is My Vape Not Charging?
Vape batteries can stop for various reasons. Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Check for and remove debris on the battery threads
- Replace your charging cable
- Clean the battery threads with a dry cotton swab
- Clean the charging cable socket
Contact the manufacturer if none of these methods work. It’s always important to perform regular maintenance on your vape devices; here’s how a guide on how to clean your 510 thread vape battery.
How To Charge 510 Batteries?
Charging a vape pen battery is usually simple. For vape pens with an integrated battery, plug the battery in using the cable provided. You should always use the right cable from the manufacturer to avoid harming the vape pen.
For a variable voltage wax pen with a removable battery, remove the batteries once they’re finished and replace them. Then, place the dead batteries in the charger to restore their power.
How To Choose a 510 Threaded Battery?
Choosing a 510 vape battery isn’t always straightforward. You need to consider various things:
- The Power: The most significant thing you’ll need to consider when buying a 510 vape battery is power. Choose the power that suits you, and don’t forget to review the mAh.
- The Activation: You can purchase an auto-draw or 510 vape battery with buttons. The most popular option is the auto-draw because it’s easy to use.
- The Size: If you love to travel, you’ll need a 510-thread vape battery with portability. However, you should choose a size based on whether you’re carrying it or leaving it in your home.
Is Vaping Legal?
It depends on where you are. In some countries—such as the United Kingdom—the government actively encourages vaping because they want smokers to switch to vaping.
In the United States, vaping is legal to use and sell. The FDA has had authority on vaping products since 2016. However, they’ve refused to create a plain system of standards for e-liquids and e-cigarettes. Some states have issued online sales and flavor bans. San Francisco notably banned the sales of all vaping products.
There are over forty nations worldwide with bans on vaping. So, if you’re traveling outside of the United States, you should be wary of the destination and always consider local laws. The most common places with bans are Asia and the Middle East. Also, if you’re a fan of vaping cannabis, always consider local cannabis laws.
What Voltage Should I Hit My 510 Vape Carts On?
The best voltage setting for most vape pens is between 2.5v to 3.3v. However, a voltage around 3.0v should produce an excellent balance of potency and taste. That’s because a medium temperature level gives you the best flavor from your THC carts.
How Should I Travel With a 510 Vape Cartridge?
Fortunately, traveling with 510 vape carts is effortless. However, you should always dissemble the 510 battery before traveling to avoid accidental damage. Most airlines will require you to separate batteries and cartridges for this reason.
Remember, it’s perfectly okay to travel with vape pens, but it’s illegal to use one on a flight. Don’t risk a federal offense for the sake of a quick puff.
510 vape cartridges are growing in popularity for cannabis and nicotine smokers because they have made vaping more straightforward and accessible. You can take 510 vape carts anywhere and not get unwanted attention due to their discreteness. Choose the best 510 vape carts for your preferences and reap the benefits for yourself.