Picture this: you clock off from work, take a hit on your favorite disposable vape pen, and… you immediately get a burnt, unpleasant taste in your mouth. What’s happened?
Burnt hits are nothing new; every vaper has experienced a burnt flavor at least once. If you’re a fan of disposable vapes, the likelihood is that you’ve faced this problem a few times.
But for beginners who are just embarking on their vape journey, a burnt hit can be shocking. Questions like ‘why does my Elf Bar taste burnt?’ and ‘how to fix a burnt disposable vape?’ are flooding the internet. Luckily, we’ve got the answers.
Identify the Problem
When a disposable vape taste burnt, the culprit is usually the liquid. Many Elf Bars, Dragbars, and other popular disposable vape devices are not designed to be refilled, so a burnt taste signals the end of their lifecycle.
But what about when your disposable vape tastes burnt when there is still e-liquid in the tank?
- Low e-liquid – Even a low amount of e-liquid can still cause a burnt hit. Essentially, there is not enough vape juice in the device to reach the coil in time. As a result, a dry hit occurs.
- Hot coil – Hot coils can be a big problem, especially when you’ve just taken your device off the charger. In this case, the battery voltage is higher than usual. When you take a puff, the coils overheat and the vape tastes burnt.
- Manufacturer error – There is a very slim chance of getting a disposable vape that produces a burnt taste straight out of the packaging, but the likelihood is never zero. An Elf Bar can taste burnt on the very first puff. If this has happened to you, contact Elf Bar’s customer service team and get a refund.
Now that you know what’s causing the burnt taste, you can learn about the solutions.
6 Steps to Fix a Burnt Disposable Vape
If you’ve ever wondered how to fix a burnt disposable vape, you’re not alone! The thought of fixing your own vape device can be daunting, especially when you think about all the techy bits like the heating chamber, wick, and coil.
In fact, fixing your disposable vape isn’t as difficult as you might think. Here are six tips for adventurous vapers who want to solve their vaping problem.
Step 1: Clean the Mouthpiece
The cleanliness of the mouthpiece doesn’t necessarily reduce the chance of a burnt hit, but it can create an unpleasant taste.
- Wear gloves
- Use a Q-tip (or a rolled-up, clean piece of tissue)
- Push the material as far as you can down the mouthpiece
- Repeat until you’ve removed all the debris
It’s a good idea to do this regularly, regardless of whether or not your vape has been tasting burnt. This is especially true of disposables like Elf Bars and Drag Bars.
Step 2: Disassemble the Disposable
Many disposables (like Elf Bar BC5000) can be taken apart. This part can be intimidating, and it takes a bit of patience.
- Remove the top of the bar (you need to use some force for this, but you still have to be gentle)
- Take pictures of the internal pieces so that you can put them back together correctly later
- Be mindful not to disrupt or detach wires
- Place the internal unit on a flat surface
Step 3: Check the Liquid Levels
Once you’ve disassembled your Elf Bar or Drag Bar, you will see a large spongey area. This is called a polyfill, a cotton-like material that acts as the wick for your coil.
- Pat the area
- Is it wet? If it is, there is more than enough e-liquid in your disposable vape
- Is it dry? If it is, you need to pour your preferred e-liquid in
Step 4: Allow the Cotton to Soak
It’s important to give your cotton wick time to soak! Your e-liquid will eventually soak throughout the wick and surround your coil, but until then, you need to be patient.
Remember, Elf Bar and Drag Bar disposables tend to hold a fair bit of e-liquid, so you might have to wait for a few minutes.
Step 5: Reassemble Your Disposable
Now that the cotton-wicking material has had time to soak up your e-liquid, it’s time to reassemble your vape device.
If you’ve followed our advice in step two, this part should be easy enough.
- Slide the internal unit back into the external body
- Slot the mouthpiece back into place
Step 6: Take Primer Puffs
Primer puffs are short, light puffs that help your device get started again. Short puffs are ideal here, as they don’t force the internal mechanisms to run before they can walk.
You might want to take primer puffs at long intervals for an hour or so, or you might feel like your Elf Bar vape device is back to normal after a few minutes.
Difference Between a Dry Hit and a Burnt Hit?
Dry hits are often mistaken for burnt hits.
A dry hit occurs when there is not enough e-liquid (or no e-liquid at all) in the vape device. The user inhales an unpleasant vapor that tastes very harsh and burnt. Dry hits might also sour the flavor in your juice, resulting in a nasty vaping experience. You may notice less vapor than usual.
Burnt hits are very similar, but they usually only occur after a few dry hits.
Whereas dry hits might occur when your device is beginning to fail, burnt hits appear when there is absolutely no juice in the device or there is another serious problem.
Things You Can Do to Avoid Burnt Hits
If you’re still experiencing a burnt taste, you could be at fault. Human error can make an Elf Bar taste burnt, and it will continue to do so unless you rectify the problem.
So, why does my Elf Bar taste burnt? And how do I solve the problem?
- Take shorter puffs – Long, drawn-out puffs can put a lot of strain on your Elf Bar, Drag Bar, or any other kind of device! When a vaping device is pushed to its limits, the coil usually overheats.
- Wait between puffs – Vaping too often can also have a negative impact on your device. If you regularly take three or more long puffs on your device per minute, there is a high chance that your device will overheat and you’ll get a burnt taste in your mouth.
- Take your device off charge – If you prefer disposable vapes, you need to be wary of the voltage. Most disposables have a voltage of 3.7V, but lithium batteries will charge to 4.2V for a moment before settling at 3.7V. This is one of the reasons why your Elf Bar might taste burnt a few seconds after you charge it. We recommend taking a few light puffs to deplete the battery.
Now you know how to fix a burnt disposable vape, the world is your oyster! You never have to worry about being without your favorite disposable again. Elf Bars, Drag Bars, and all sorts of other kinds of disposables are easy to fix when you follow these steps.