Pod vapes and mini vapes have created a category of their own for vaping starter kits. These compact and simple to use devices are the ideal vape for beginners or people wanting to quit smoking. However, with the exhausting list of vape starter kits and even pod vapes, it’s difficult to know where to start and what to recommend to friends. We’ve simplified the options for you through by scoring the best pod vapes that we’ve tested. The list includes both pre-filled and refillable pod mods.
Best Pod Vapes
Orion DNA Go
The Lost Vape Orion may be a high-end pod mod housing one of the best chipsets in the industry, but it sure does deliver on performance and build quality. The DNA Go chip works wonders to prevent dry hits with its replay mode. It’s also fully customizable with Escribe giving you 3 power settings and the ability to output 40W. There’s a 950mAh battery and adjustable airflow from the 2ml pods, with the ability to direct-lung and mouth-to-lung. It’s the most versatile and high-quality pod mod on the market.
ZOOR Pod Mod
The ZOOR pod mod by 7 Daze is not as well known as some of the others on this list, but we loved its key fob style design and solid build quality. It features a 500mAh battery and 2ml pre-filled pods. There are only four available flavors, but the apple is exceptional. The pods also use ceramic coils which help produce excellent flavor and a smooth vape experience.
The JUUL is one of the most talked about vaping devices in the industry, and for good reason. It’s a simple plug-and-play device that delivers excellent nicotine satisfaction from high quality pre-filled flavors. It has a minimalistic design and features an automatic draw and prevents well against dry hits. For a pre-filled pod system, JUUL is the number one for performance and reliability.
Innokin’s first venture into the pod mod market is an exceptional one. The EQ comes with an 800mAh internal battery, and a boost button to increase the wattage. The 2ml capacity pods have an easy fill system, and the battery has a simple, compact style with an excellent rubber coating. However, the real star of the show is the 0.5ohm Plexus mesh coils, which produce excellent flavor with a very decent lifespan.
The Kandypens Rubi is another pod system with a minimalist design. It delivers excellent performance from its 1ml refillable pods, which feature ceramic coils and give you the ability to use oils as well as e-liquid. The ceramic coils give the pods good lifespan and go easy on the 280mAh battery. If you prefer a pod mod that can provide more airflow, the Rubi is an excellent choice.
Eleaf is renowned for making excellent starter kits, and their latest pod mod the iWu is one of our favorites. Its design is both futuristic and functional, using interchangeable sleeves that also act as a mouthpiece cover. It features a large 700mAh internal battery, and 2ml capacity refillable pods. Not only does it look great but it performs well too, producing a smooth MTL vape with plenty of flavor.
The SMOK Infinix has a pleasing diamond shaped body and tapered mouthpiece. It utilizes 2ml refillable pods, which are practically leak-free and has an excellent auto inhale draw. It has a 250mAh battery, which supports pass-thru vaping and can charge in under 30 minutes. The Infinix has a smooth draw and delivers reliable performance.
The Justfog Minifit looks more like a USB stick than a pod mod. It’s the smallest refillable pod mod on the market, sporting a 370mAh internal battery and a clicky fire button. It only has a 1.5ml capacity pod, but the 1.6ohm resistance coils do a good job. The JustFog mini is reliable and ultra-portable.
What is a Pod Mod?
A pod mod; also referred to as pod vapes, vape pods, mini vapes or pod systems were designed to be a simple solution to help smokers transition into vaping. They are more compact and often easier to use than vape pens.
A pod mod is a mini vape device typically small and pocket-friendly that utilizes a pod filled with e-liquid that connects very simply to a battery.
They are incredibly simple by nature to use and are either automatic through inhale activation or some contain one power button.
One of the reasons pod vape systems have become so popular with new vapers is they can come with the pods pre-filled with liquid, meaning there’s no need to buy replacement coils or juice, just the pods. There are some companies like JUUL that offer a subscription for replacement pods, so you get them sent to your house at designated intervals.
Pod vapes can also come with empty refillable pods, allowing vapers to use your their own liquid.
Refillable vs. Pre-filled Pod Systems
Refillable and pre-filled pod systems both have their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to personal preference, so it’s worth seeing which category suits you best before purchasing a pod system.
- Refillable pod systems: Also known as open pod systems, use empty pods that are refilled by the user. These give you more freedom in terms of flavor. The main advantage to them is that you can purchase e-liquid from anywhere and have a broader range of flavors at your disposal.
- Pre-filled pod systems: Also known as closed pod systems, are non-refillable pods pre-filled with the manufactures e-liquid. Available flavors will be dependant on the manufacturer, and some only carry a small range. However, having the convenience of not having to choose a liquid type and physically fill the device is a huge advantage.
What e-liquid is best to use for refillable pods?
- Nicotine salt e-liquid — is commonly used for pod vapes, due to it’s higher nicotine content and smoother draw. Nicotine salt was introduced and popularized by JUUL.
- Traditional e-liquids — Any e-liquid that is not too viscose. Typically, 50/50 VG/PG ratios work best on pod mods, but some do still function well with higher VG based e-liquids.
Who should use pod vapes?
- Smokers wanting to quit – Smokers transitioning to vaping appreciate the practical and straightforward design of pod mods and their easy nicotine delivery. Most also offer a similar draw to that of cigarettes.
- Experienced vapers – Even experienced vapers use pod mods, especially those that like mouth-to-lung style vaping. They make great companions to their usual larger setups and are ideal for travel.
- Stealth vapers – For those times where you don’t want to be carrying a large device that bellows humongous clouds. Pod vapes are discreet both in their compact size and for their cloud production.
Benefits of using pod vapes
- Simple & easy to use
- Discreet, compact form factor
- Designed for smokers to quit
- Easy maintenance
- Tight MTL draw (like a cigarette)
- Minimal vapor production
- Low e-liquid consumption
- Instantly change flavors
Pod systems do have plenty of advantages over other vaping systems.
The most obvious being they are convenient and easy to use, especially for new vapers. You don’t need to worry about all the complicated technical features of other devices, and this is an excellent appeal to ex-smokers.
Also the offer an MTL-style draw which mimics that of a traditional cigarette, making it an easy gateway to transition into vaping.
There are also other benefits to pod vaping that experienced vapers can appreciate. Firstly they are easy to maintain, and there is no need to build your own coils. Secondly, switching flavors on the go is as easy as changing pods.
Pod vapes are generally low powered devices with high ohm coils, so if you want to be conservative with e-liquid consumption, they are a great option.
Downsides to using pod vapes
- Small battery capacity
- Can be expensive
- Limited vapor production
- Limited flavor selection (pre-filled)
As with everything in life Pod Vapes also have some downsides that you might want to consider.
Due to their compact design, there is limited space for high capacity batteries, so most have far lower battery life than a regular vape device — however, dependant on the power consumption of the coils and your usage that could still see you through a day of vaping.
Other downsides, especially with closed system pre-filled pod vapes, is the limited flavor selection and often the pre-filled pods come at a slightly higher cost.